I watched a video about two guys that started a company where they empower women and kids in Guatemala and Sudan by giving them jobs crocheting apparel for their trendy small apparel company. They made $2.3million in revenue this year and directly effected the lives of over 200 families to lift them out of poverty.
When asked by the interviewer: "What do you say when people say global poverty is just too big of a problem, you really cant solve that can you?"
They responded: "Well then do we do nothing?"
That answer has been ringing in my heart and hitting on a place of deep agony within in me. I struggle with the idea of injustice. From a young age I got into fist fights with kids on the playground when they would pick on someone. In high school I would befriend the kid deemed "not cool" by the "in crowd." In college I would verbally stick up for someone I didn't know in a bar if they were being treated poorly, and periodically those too would end up in fist fights. I have always had this knee jerk reaction to fight for those who are being treated poorly.
I have not always done it in a Godly way and most often times I probably reacted out of pride. But I know that deep down this distain for injustice comes from the Fathers heart. It is becoming very popular to take up a cause and social justice is almost as hipster cool as skinny jeans now a days. Admittedly I don't do much in way of social justice and am not really fighting for some big cause. Sure I support a Compassion child monthly, and give money generously to those in my community that have needs, I even work for a non-profit humanitarian relief organization. But I think I have believed the lie that the reporter asked these men.
"Isn't the problem just too big to solve? So then why try?"
Yuck how convicting. The truth is I dream of adopting children one day, I even cruise the Illinois adoption website reading kids bios now and then (in a non creepy way). I am brought to tears almost every time, because I think to myself "wow that kid sounds precious, I would totally adopt him/her and bring them into my family and give them a loving home!" only to slink back and think "yeah but that wont even make a dent in the orphan problem." I agree with the "Well then do nothing" argument that is obviously straight from the devil.
So moving forward I want to recalibrate my heart and actions to follow that which God has called me to. God is so compassionate, that's why He repeatedly commanded the Israelites to care for the widows, orphans and foreigners. In fact He even commanded them to leave the outer rows of their vineyards and crop fields unpicked, so that the less fortunate among them would have plenty to eat. Deuteronomy 24:20. He also says in James 1:27 that 'Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress.'
Sure the problem is too big for me to solve, but not for God. <-- Even that saying has somehow lost its power and is chalked up as a Christian cliché. Lets think big, by acting small. I think today I will take one small step towards eradicating an injustice and watch God take a giant leap on behalf of the ones He loves. I think that's it, He wants to eradicate ALL injustice, He has just chosen to do it through us. Small steps BIG God.
-Cheers

I agree Aaron there is always something we can do as individuals to curb injustice. For me I ask the Lord, "Please help me have your heart and your eyes today because I live to much for me and the things that seem important. Lord give me your eyes and your ears to hear what you see and hear so that I might be broken about that which breaks your heart!" Oh that I might move throughout my day to recognize when you want me to move toward someone showing your love.
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to adoption you have had many extended family who have taken children in as foster or even adoption so there are family you can learn from. We will pray with you and Andrea for the right timing and sensitivity about how adoption will work into your family. I see now that Barrett is here that you guys have much love to share and I am sure with God's help you can share it with a child of God's who needs a family.